Thursday, June 18, 2009

Freaky

Jen: Okay, I have this issue that's freaking me out. I think I have sleep paralysis! I always thought I was a "DILD" lucid dreamer, but now I'm thinking it's sleep paralysis. Nearly every sign fits, and last night was the third time this year that it's happened for sure. You can read about it here.

I have always argued that I start to dream as soon as I fall asleep, even though experts say that it takes 30 minutes (I think) to hit the REM stage and start dreaming. Now, I find out that there's a correlation between sleep onset REM and sleep paralysis. Crazy!

Anyway, it's just about the scariest thing you can experience, and last night was the worst of any I've experienced thus far. I'm going to need to make some lifestyle changes and hope that it fixes this- a real bedtime, maybe some rearranging for a less chaotic ambiance, more exercise and maybe yoga.

Crystal: Uhmm...thats a bit scary....have you seen a doctor about it? Are there any risks or anything with this besides that it's really scary?

Jen: I haven't seen a doctor. They can't do anything unless it happens at least once a week, which it doesn't. There aren't any side effects though, so it's just a fear issue. And once you know what it is, it isn't so scary.

7 comments:

readingsully2 said...

I have never heard of this before. I can see where it could be really scary. I was glad to read that it was not dangerous or harmful though.

Yet said...

I'm not going to act like I understand. Instead, I'll say that it's good that you at least have some possible solutions to try. I hope it works for you.

Victoria said...

I suffer from this quite badly, at least once a week and it's so scary.
xx

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I'm so sorry. I hope you can find something to help!

Jamie Marie said...

Jen I dont know if you remember us talking about this when I spent the night at your house. This USED to happen to me all the time. Its been about 8 months since I had an episode. And it is so frighting to experience. I am not sure what has caused mine to calm down but that should give you some hope that it can and eventually will. I was 9 when this first happened to me. Opening your eyes and being able to see but not move nor speak ugg its horrible

Lille Diane said...

Part of me is saying, "Yikes! Get outta my head..." And the larger part of me is so frigging relieved you posted this! I never knew it had an actual name but have had many, many encounters with sleep paralysis. It is scary to wake up unable to move, speak or sometimes scream---cuz it makes ya wanna scream when it happens.

Thank you so much for posting this. I always wondered if aliens had abducted me & I was coming off the drugs they used to sedate me when this happened... (Lille whispers....I know, I know...I need to stop huffing on the peroxide but it's the only vice I have left....)

Thanks, Jen, for coming by, and hanging your pic in the tree house!It looks great on my wall! :-)

Jen said...

I'm totally a lucid dreamer. I never knew there was a name for it, but most of the time I start dreaming before I am totally asleep. I also occasionally have night terrors, but luckily I don't have sleep paralysis. That sounds scary.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online