Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Haiti


Jen: The coverage on the Haiti situation has been steadily slowing, so I thought it might be nice to touch base on the topic now. I really hope that people are still donating, talking, and sharing information about Haiti's circumstances.

Anderson Cooper and Dr. Sanjay Gupta (from CNN) are back in Haiti after a short stint here at home. I'm blown away by their compassion and dedication to easing the suffering of these people. Anderson Cooper said that being back home left him with a feeling of disconnect from Haiti, and that it felt wrong.

I used the Red Cross texting initiative to donate to the cause last month, and while it was only $10, I know it will go a long way as their antibiotics only cost a nickel! Since then, I've found other donation avenues, but my mind keeps going back to that $10. Most of us can afford that. Even my little brothers donated!


Crystal: So here's my schpeal (sp?) on the Haiti situation...

It sucks...it's horrible what happened...I feel horrible for the people and the town and everything....I wish that everything could be magically fixed....and I wish that they could have all the money they need to do what needs to be done with country....

BUT....

At the same time...I can't help feeling a little resentful, if that's the right term....it takes a huge disaster for people to start giving and be generous....and I'm completely guilty of this myself.....but what if all of that effort and generosity being put forth by U.S. citizens was put back into our own country.....think of the possibilities!

I also can't help but wonder if we all put back the same effort into our country, if it would somehow come full circle and increase the help we could give outwards.....?? A long chain effect basically:

Money, care, and help is put into the U.S. --> thousands, if not millions, of people benefit and grow, better their lives, get better educations, have better health --> less strain on the welfare systems, less strain on the healthcare systems, larger pool of competent and employable citizens, more people to create businesses that allow for additional employment opportunities, etc. --> more money flowing throughout the country in all directions --> down the line, this leads to more money and skillsets that can be given outside of the U.S. to other countries in need.....

It seems so simple to me.....isn't it????

Jen: I agree that our country needs some major revamping, but for the time being, I'm happy to help the Haitians. Again, a $10 donation buys a lot of medicine for them. What would $10 do for the US? Cover a co-pay? Perhaps, if you are lucky enough to even have medical insurance. It goes to show how inflated we really are.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online